For the ninth consecutive year (2007 through 2015 inclusive), Tom was selected to as one of Northern California’s Super Lawyers (www.superlawyers.com) in the publications Northern California Super Lawyers and San Francisco Magazine.
Northern California Superlawyers lists only the top 5% of practicing Northern California attorneys and is based upon “peer review” and prohibits advertisement or payment for its listing. Tom has been a State Bar Board Certified Family Law Specialist since 1996.
Tom is a State Bar Certified Family Law Specialist. In his career, Tom has tried in excess of 35 family law trials to verdict including complex issues of custody, property, business, support and guardianships. Tom has negotiated and argued literally hundreds of Orders to Show Cause family law matters in the Sonoma County courts. Tom has the past privilege of sitting on the Sonoma County Superior Court Bench as a Judge Pro Tem on the OSC (motion) calendars. He has also acted as a Sonoma County Superior Court Settlement Conference Judge Pro Tem for the last 20 years.
Sonoma County Board of Supervisors
In 1996, The Sonoma County Board of Supervisors awarded Tom the “Judge Pro Tem of the Year Certificate” for his volunteer work on particularly difficult family law matters.
Tom has completed classes in trial practice at the Hastings School of Advocacy, Advanced Mediation Training at the Gary Friedman Center for Mediation and Law and course work qualifying him as a collaborative law attorney from attorney Chip Rose in Santa Rosa. Tom also completed negotiation and mediation strategies through the U.S. District court in San Francisco (Harvard Negotiation Project).
Tom is a member of the Sonoma County Family Law Bar, the American Bar Association, the California State Bar Association, and has been a member of the Richard Sangster American Inns of Court since 2001.
Tom was on the Board of Directors for the Sonoma County Legal Aid from 2002 to 2005. For over ten years, he served as an advisory board member and instructor for Grandparents Parenting Again. He also served on the Board of Directors of the Santa Rosa Salvation Army from 2002 through 2008.
- Tom completed his Bachelor’s of Science degree from Oregon State University, Corvalis, Oregon, 1974
- A secondary teaching credential from University of Oregon in 1975
- A JD from Empire School of Law in 1983
- Tom completed classes in trial practice at the Hastings School of Advocacy, Hastings School of Law
- Tom completed course work qualifying him as a collaborative law attorney through attorney Chip Rose
- Tom completed negotiation and mediation courses at the U.S. District Court at the Harvard Negotiation Project
- Tom completed both the beginning and advanced course at through attorney Gary Friedman at the Gary Friedman Center for Mediation and Law, Mill Valley, California
- U.S. Navy (Reserve)
- 2 years active duty 1968-1970;
- USS Boxer LPH4
- USS Plymouth Rock LSD 69
- 5 years USN Reserve.